Resistant Materials

Curriculum Leader: Miss D Hocking

Subject Teachers: Mr M Prince, Mr E Webb

Famous Quote

The original idea makes design distinctive, function makes it work and quality adds value Serge Zuev

Overall Purpose of the Subject - Summary:

Design and Technology allows pupils to explore their creativity using a range of materials and techniques. Pupils have the opportunity to design and make products that respond to a wide variety of problems within a range of contexts.

Resistant Materials specifically develops pupils design skills as well as their practical skills, focusing particularly on problem solving and evaluation skills.

Course Outline and Structure – Key Stage 3

Each year in Key Stage 3 pupils experience a rotational timetable of the different Design and Technology subjects.  Each rotation lasts approximately 8 weeks allowing for pupils to develop their skills in 5 different areas.

In Resistant Materials pupils are introduced to using wood, metal and plastic to create a variety of outcomes in response to the design briefs set.



Course Outline and Structure – Key Stage 4                                     Exam Board: AQA

The GCSE Design and Technology Resistant Materials course teaches pupils how to design and produce products with a creative and innovative flair using a range of materials and techniques. This specification enables pupils to explore different ideas using materials such as wood, metal and plastic.

The coursework is made up of a controlled assessment and is worth 60% of the overall final grade. The remaining 40% comes from the theoretical exam taken at the end of year 11.

In Year 10 there are 2 short projects taught across the first two terms which are designed to develop skills and understanding of the techniques required for the controlled assessment. Towards the end of Year 10 the individual controlled assessment is started and then completed in the first part of Year 11. For the controlled assessment pupils have approximately 45 hours to answer an exam board set question. For the remainder of Year 11, pupils are set short skills and knowledge based tasks as preparation for the final exam.                                            

Assessment Method - Key Stage 4

Unit 1 – Written Paper – 2 hours – Externally Marked – 40% of overall grade

Unit 2 – Controlled Assessment – 45 hours (approx.) – Externally Moderated – 60% of overall grade

Consists of a single design and make activity.

Extra-Curricular Activities / Clubs:

We currently offer regular after school workshops in the format of a period 7 for GCSE pupils who are completing their controlled assessments. These workshops will focus on ensuring the pupils have all the elements required to submit a thorough project meeting all of the Assessment Objectives.

Key Websites to support learning / Useful resources:


Click here for information about the National Curriculum for Resistant Materials

Subject Documents Date  
Curriculum Map Yr 7 Design Technology 19th Sep 2019 Download
Curriculum Map Yr 8 Design Technology 19th Sep 2019 Download
Curriculum Map Yr 9 Design Technology 19th Sep 2019 Download
Curriculum Map KS4 Design Technology 19th Sep 2019 Download