Menu

Art

Curriculum Leader: Miss N Heesom

Subject Teachers: Miss N Heesom, Mrs E Nicholls, Mr A Chedciala, Mrs L Furner

Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up

Pablo Picasso

Overall Purpose of the Subject - Summary:

Art education not only teaches about artists and how to develop artistic skills, but also about how to evaluate and critique work.  Art is very subjective which offers plenty of chance for discussion and the opportunity to voice an opinion and take part in debate.  Most importantly however, art is all about being creative.  Your son/daughter will be encouraged to work following advice and feedback as well as independently and will have help and support to work to their strengths and skillsets.


Course Outline and Structure – Key Stage 3

During Key Stage 3 your son/daughter will have the opportunity to study a wide range of techniques and media.  This will develop their skills to the level required for the GCSE should they wish to continue the subject further.  There are three projects taught each year that last a term and focus on a particular set of skills.  In Year 7 the key skills covered are pencil drawing, watercolour painting, mono-printing, poly printing and 3D construction.  In Year 8 the key skills covered are biro drawing, gouache painting, clay and paper construction.  In Year 9 the key skills covered are dip pen and ink drawing, acrylic painting, reduction printing using a lino block and clay coil / slab construction.


FINE ART

The Fine Art GCSE is designed to introduce pupils to a variety of traditional techniques and processes, such as drawing, painting and printing, as well as teach them about traditional and contemporary artists.  The coursework portfolio is worth 60% of the overall final grade with a practical exam making up the other 40%.

In Year 10 the pupils will start with a skills-based project ensuring they are equipped with the knowledge required to be able to complete the GSCE course competently.  The first major project of the course is then taught and this will last approx. four or five months.  Previous themes have included ‘Close up’, ‘In the News’ ‘Out of Place’ and ‘Architecture’.  We rotate these and also introduce sub themes.  This allows pupils to explore the theme of their choice producing a sketchbook of ideas and research, experimenting with techniques and processes ultimately producing a final painted canvas and/or a drawn final piece.  In the Summer Term of Year 10 a smaller 3D project will be completed with inspiration taken from a visit to the sculpture park in Farnham.

At the beginning of year 11 there is an opportunity to complete a controlled assessment which then forms part of the coursework portfolio.  Following the same format as the exam completed at the end of year 11, the pupils have approximately 8 weeks to prepare inspired by a choice of questions set by the exam board.  During this time, pupils will be able to discuss their ideas with their teacher to ensure they will produce a final piece which is successful.  The final piece is produced during a 2 day exam, which runs over the normal school day where breaks and lunch are as normal.

3D

The 3D Art GCSE is designed to introduce pupils to a variety of 3D techniques and processes, such as clay work, wire work and cardboard construction, as well as teach them about traditional and contemporary artists.  The coursework portfolio is worth 60% of the overall final grade with a practical exam making up the other 40%.

In Year 10 the pupils will start with a skills-based project ensuring they are equipped with the knowledge required to be able to complete the GSCE course competently.  The first major project of the course is then taught and this will last approx. four or five months.  Previous themes have included ‘Surfaces and Textures’, ‘Insects’ and ‘Altered Objects’.  We rotate these and also introduce sub themes. Pupils will explore the theme of their choice producing a series of boards demonstrating their ideas and research, experimenting with techniques and processes ultimately producing a large scale cardboard or clay or Modroc constructed final piece.  In the Summer Term of Year 10 a smaller 3D project will be completed with inspiration taken from a visit to the sculpture park in Farnham.  This project will result in a breeze block carving.

At the beginning of year 11 there is an opportunity to complete a controlled assessment which then forms part of the coursework portfolio.  Following the same format as the exam completed at the end of year 11, the pupils have approximately 8 weeks to prepare inspired by a choice of questions set by the exam board.  During this time, pupils will be able to discuss their ideas with their teacher to ensure they will produce a final piece which is successful.  The final piece is produced during a 2 day exam, which runs over the normal school day where breaks and lunch are as normal.

Assessment Method - Key Stage 4

Coursework – 60% of the final grade

Practical Exam (with approximately 8 weeks preparation time) – 40% of the final grade


Extra-Curricular Activities / Clubs:

We offer a Key Stage 3 Art Club which explores techniques not normally taught in lessons.  This club also gives the pupils the chance to experience more craft-based activities and be experimental in their own personal art.  This is usually run in blocks e.g. 4 weeks over a half term so students can drop in and out depending on the technique being taught.

For the GCSE pupils there are after key times throughout the week when they are welcome to use the art rooms and gain extra support with classwork, homework and exam preparation. We also run extended workshops at specific points throughout the year to help with deadlines and completion of artwork.

Key Websites to support learning / Useful resources:

Click here for information about the National Curriculum for Art

Subject Documents Date  
Curriculum Map Yr 7 Art 19th Sep 2019 Download
Curriculum Map Yr 8 Art 19th Sep 2019 Download